I usually avoid anything trendy
I prefer timeless, classic basics spiced up with statement accessories. And I abhor artificial fibres and fast fashion, insisting on natural fibres and high-quality. But every now and then I succumb to the temptation of trends…
Take this metallic pleated skirt, for instance. Not only is it made of polyester, it’ s also unashamedly trendy. So, am I going against my principles here?
Not at all. You see, I subscribe to the 80-20 rule (in both healthy diet and style): sensible, quality choices 80% of the time and anything goes for the remaining 20%. In other words, this pleated skirt (and a few other fast fashion items without longevity) are the burgers in my otherwise healthy and sensible fashion diet…
The skirt is also one of those items that are better in theory than in practice. As it is made of polyester, static electricity makes it cling to my body… And that drives me crazy. I’ve tried an anti-static spray (even though I’m not happy coating my garments with chemicals), and it works. For a few hours, anyway. But wear a coat over the skirt (as any sensible person would, it being winter and all…), and the effect is soon gone. So, it seems that my love affair with this particular trendy item is going to be rather short-lived…
Nevertheless, I styled the skirt in two ways: classic and trendy. You will see the trendy look in a couple of weeks.
As I’m not really into the whole ‘festive’ party look, I wanted to keep my ‘classic look’ understated rather than formal or glam. I don’t really attend any formal events (honestly, I can’t remember the last time…), and I don’t enjoy ‘dressing up’. Seriously, having to dress up in formal attire would be my nightmare. Besides, the focus of this blog has always been chic and relaxed everyday clothing; smart casual is my comfort zone, and I’m clinging to it for dear life. In these uncertain times, we need something that remains constant…
skirt: Zara / top: Caroll / shoes: Hotter (old) /
bag: Chanel / Necklace: Andiata (old)
location: Hilton London Paddington
How would you wear this skirt?
Any ideas how to beat static cling?
Linking up with:
Not Dead Yet Style, Elegantly Dressed and Stylish, Garay Treasures, High Latitude Style, Sydney Fashion Hunter, The Pleated Poppy, Style Elixir, Get Your Pretty On, Happiness at Mid-Life, A Labour of Life, Doused in Pink, Curly Crafty Mom, Fashion Should Be Fun, Rachel the Hat, Sincerely Jenna Marie, More Pieces of Me, Color and Grace, The Wardrobe Stylist, Not Dressed As Lamb, Style Nudge, Coco et La Vie en Rose, Fashionably Employed,The Fabulous Journey, Living on Cloud Nine, A Well Styled Life, Elegance and Mommyhood. Posh Classy Mom, Nancy’s Fashion Style, Sheela Writes, Shelbee on the Edge Over 50 Feeling 40 A Pocketful of Polka Dots
I think you did very well. This outfit looks very appealing, modern, colourful and indeed festive. The necklace with it is a very good find. Well styled Triina. Perhaps an underskirt of thicker cotton might work? The staticness is probably created by the polyester together with your tights. I sometimes buy a cheap non clinging skirt at H&M and wear that under it. (Often A-line to give me that desirable hourglass shape you already have.)Greetje
Yes, a slip of some sort. But I hate them, too much fabric for my taste. Wearing this skirt reminded me why I usually prefer pencil skirts: no 'clinging' problem…
I have never heard of the 80-20 rule in fashion! I think you made that one up.Haha, try leaving it in the freezer for night. But I love that skirt!
Yes, you're right, I made that up. But it's still a good rule…
A waist slip from M&S would probably get rid of the static. Nice look! Pleased to "meet" you.Gailwww.isthismutton.com
Yeah, that might work. Thanks for stopping by!
Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. Happy holidays and a happy New Year.
Thanks, Nicole. Happy New Year!
Metallic can go either way for me, sometimes I love it or really dislike it. This skirt is right up my alley, really love that is mid-length!Thank you for linking up with Weekend WearxoMel
It's the same with me: really like it or dislike it, depending on the piece in question.
I love this look. This skirt is amazing :)Thanks for linking up with midlife funxxxxx
What a lovely outfit, Tina! I like everything about it! Happy holidays!
Thanks, Natalia! Happy holidays!